Friday, May 27, 2011

Part 24

And off our one and a half men fled (three and a half if you ask Tom Jones) into the black of night with jar and note in tow.
As they journeyed across the vast, craggy New England Sahara, Bo's stomach began to growl.
"Tom, do you see anywhere we could stop to get a bite to eat?" he asked his companion.
"Please," said Tom holding his hand up modestly, "I feel we've grown very close, you and I. Almost like best buddies, except I've never given you a foot massage. I want you to call me by the name that my Welsh grandmother bestowed upon me the first time I beat her at Candyland-- Kangaroo Jim."
"Kangaroo Jim," began Bo again, too ravenous to object, "Do you see anywhere we could eat at? I'm starving."
"What about Igor's House of Beets and Eats?" He suggested, pointing to a kinky looking stone building on the horizon that Bo's glance had somehow passed over.
As they drew nearer, Bo's gut began to growl ever louder, both out of apprehension about entering an establishment that looked like a prison rigged up with torches at the entrance and neon pink barbed wire encircling the rooftop, and with his ever-mounting hunger.
"Yo yo yo!" said Tom Jones cheerily to the shirtless bouncer at the door, "we be hankrin' for some gruuuuub to ruuuub in the tuuuuub, know what I'm sayin' hawk-baby?"
The bouncer turned around and Bo realized with a start that the face Tom Jones had been speaking to was merely a tattoo on the back of the bouncer's bald head. Glancing down at the name tag pinned directly onto his bare chest, Bo noted that the man's name was Zbrtp.
"If you don't mind me asking," said Bo, a bit meekly, "Would you be in possession of any information regarding the name of this fine establishment... particularly the 'beats' part of it?"
"Look bubble boy," said Zbrtp in a gravely high-pitched Jamaican accent, "If you don't think you can handle what we got, you'd better just
get. Got it?"
Bo nodded, a hundred nightmarish scenarios rushed through his brain and made his face begin to sweat.
"Think we might fluff our stuff in the ruff dufff tuff?" said Tom Jones.
"I'm not so sure." said the bouncer, staring wickedly at Bo. "He don't look like he's of age to be frolicking in a joint like this here. I don't think he'd
last, know what I'm talking about, cowboy? I don't think he's got enough guts."
"Now listen here!" snapped Bo, stomping one rhinestoned suede platform moccasin in disgust, "I'll have you know that I was nearly killed earlier today!"
"YEAH, KILLED!" said Tom Jones, throwing back his head and snapping his fingers in a display of support for his friend.
"And furthermore, I'm on a mission from God that is for
your benediction and the benediction of every man, woman, and child in this great country of ours!"
"YEAH, BENEDICTION!" tooted Tom Jones, twirling around and ending with a breathy "cha CHA" and jazz hands.
Zbrtp watched this display with a look of slight contempt before waving them inside.
"But don't say I didn't warn you!" he called after them.

*****

"Woah... look at this cat scat of a joint!" Jones yelled over the techno-polka music blaring through the loud speakers. Mounted high on the walls were paintings of famous leading Hollywood men, each painted in a baby bonnet and a set of fangs. Inside glass niches positioned along the walls were dancers wearing nothing but bear-claw slippers and fancy Victorian hats. And dangling above each table was a different medieval instrument of torture turned mood light.
But worst of all was the catastrophic aroma of cooked beets that assaulted Bo's ever-flared nostrils as he opened the massive, spiked doors.
Tom and Bo sat at a table beneath a giant flail emanating a rosy glow, illuminating a portrait of a grinning, toothy Clark Gable. A waiter appeared dressed in a foam beet costume, studded all over with cheery buttons and flair.
"Good evening dearies, my name is Anna Banana, I am going to be your beet scout tonight. Can I get you something to drink?"

48 comments:

The Militant Working Boy said...

I don't even have a clue anymore...

Unknown said...

Jesus Christmas. I don't even know if an appropriate response to this exists.

It is very fucked up. So I like it.

E. Studnicka said...

I believe the appropriate response would be,
"WELL GLITTER MY TONGUE AND CALL ME AN OWL-CAKE!!!"

Good Luck Darryl.

Unknown said...

I'm watching Globe Trekker.

E. Studnicka said...

You lucky bean, you.
Where are they?

Unknown said...

Maldives and somewhere else. I forgot, because I was ripped out of bed this morning by the assheads above me flooding my entire kitchen with gallons of their stupidity.

Their drainage tube for their washer wasn't properly placed in the draining spot, and drained their dirty clothes water, gallon by disgusting gallon, all over my kitchen, and partially into my living room, soaking portions of my carpet.

I am, as I type, attempting not to plot their demise, as I am also wondering when I will ever be dry again.

E. Studnicka said...

Ok, here's what you do:

When they are sleeping, you send Hammersmark and Darryl up to their apartment with a trained spider monkey, a jar of nutella, and thirteen dozen hoagies. They make the monkey (who is disguised as a pigeon, so as to confuse them) knock on the door and when they answer, the monkey (who is anthropomorphic) says that there is a party in the hallway. They look out the door and see Hammersmark and Darryl eating hoagies and nutella and having a grand old time. They become very excited and ask the monkey if they are invited. The monkey says yes under three conditions- they have to rub mustard all over their bodies and then wear wool sweaters and sing the Aba Daba Honeymoon in five part harmony. The admission fee to this party is all the money they have, and to get in they must allow the monkey to tattoo a smiley face on the back of their hand.
Of course, they comply and cheerily flounce down to the party.
But by this time, Darryl and Hammersmark have eaten all the nutella and hoagies and when the people from the apartment get to the party, all that is left are salad and a bag of old peanuts that Darryl keeps in the pocket of his trench coat.
Darryl, Hammersmark, and the monkey run away laughing leaving the apartment people with tattoos of smiley faces on their hands and no money.

Unknown said...

The only flaw I see in your plan is that I know Hammersmark can eat about 6-1/2 dozen hoagies, but I'm not confident Darryl has that type of intestinal fortitude. We'll either have to confirm his ability to consume that amount, or cut the number down a skosh.

E. Studnicka said...

Yes... hmmmm... what if they were bra-picked bacon hoagies?

Unknown said...

Darryl, consult?

The Militant Working Boy said...

Yes Darryl, we have a crisis on our (Nico's) hands. She is drowning in the sudsy juices of someone else's grime.
Either build her a canoe or participate in the above evil scheme.

Unknown said...

You change "grime" to "crime" and we've got ourselves a party.

Darryl said...

My intestines were forged in the furnaces of mount Olympus. There isn't a calorie I cannot dance with.

Unknown said...

I'll call the hoagie shop. You want mayo, or oil and vinegar?

Darryl said...

All of the above. Double serving.

Unknown said...

The first time I ever ordered my own hoagie, when someone asked me if I wanted mayo or oil or vinegar, I had no idea how to answer so I said "uh both". It worked out just fine.

I still have been known to get mayo and vinegar.

You also should know that I've invented FlufferNutella. No, Firefox, I don't want to change that to "insufferable", I want you to add it to your dictionary, because it's wonderful.

E. Studnicka said...

I need to know what FlufferNutella is. NOW. Since my intestines were hand-bent by Zeus himself out of his bathroom plumbing and cannot function without a steady coating of all things unhealthy.

Unknown said...

I'm guessing you've never had a Fluffernutter? That's kind of insane.

Marshmallow fluff + Nutella on bread = deliciousness coma.

Then there is also, if you can handle it, Fluffernutter Nutella. But you need to be serious about your deliciousness, because that is some next level shit.

Unknown said...

Fluffernutter = Marshmallow fluff + peanut butter.

E. Studnicka said...

I feel kinda dead inside knowing that I have never tried that.

Unknown said...

There are plenty of days left to put that goodness inside of you. Go forth, and fluff!

You know, you could always work this into a tidy little guilt trip with your 'rents. I was introduced to Fluffernutter by my father - the ingredients were actually something I'd occasionally buy for him as a treat when I was an adult, to hoard down in his man cave, next to his Hickory Farms summer sausage (not to be eaten concomitantly, for the love of god).

E. Studnicka said...

If you think for a second that I would share such scrumptiousness with anyone, you, my friend, are out of your mind!

Unknown said...

I want one right now.

E. Studnicka said...

Sure thing, I'll be right over.

Have you ever tried a grilled peanut butter sandwich?

Unknown said...

No. I suppose mostly because peanut butter already seemed so decadent.

Darryl said...

Great news, snack-indulgent friends of mine.

I no longer work two jobs. I have plenty of free time, starting Monday. I will gather my wits and creativity, set them on fire and begin work on a new post.

Thanks!

Unknown said...

Bring candy.

E. Studnicka said...

It's Monday! Monday!
Gotta get down on Monday!
Everybody's lookin' forward to the next post, next post!

Unknown said...

I wonder how much bigger than average Giuliana Rancic's head is.

Madeline Hammersmark said...

I prefer my hoagies with "a little bit of mayo", but Wawa never complies. And for the love of all that is cotton covered and stained with shame, DON'T ask for your tuna hoagie with salt. Your mouth will shrivel up as if you've eaten the silica gel from your new caboodle.

Unknown said...

I solve that problem by never eating the silica gel from my caboodle, and never ordering tuna hoagies. Tuna hoagie? WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT?!

Madeline Hammersmark said...

It's a memory food. Cara and I used to split one on the way up to New Hope.

Unknown said...

Who's idea was it to get a tuna hoagie? Seriously, you could have had Italian, turkey, roast beef, cheese or other varieties I can't even think of now because I'm too busy thinking about someone using an ice cream scoop to cram a wad of tuna fish onto a torpedo roll.

Why tuna? WHY? Why would you BUY a tuna hoagie?

Madeline Hammersmark said...

You think this was my idea? She was always the boss when we were kids. I just went with the flow. She thought fish slathered in mayo was healthy.

Unknown said...

I really don't think that's even remotely true, compared to a lean turkey hoagie without cheese and a very small amount of mayo - or even better, mustard.

Unknown said...

Change in plans again - Hammersmark's going to take this turn, and Darryl will take the next. And I better get a mug full of Hershey's kisses on secretary's day.

Madeline Hammersmark said...

Hopefully I'll have some crazy vivid dream about this and won't even have to put any thought into the next part.

Unknown said...

There's seriously no pressure. Just have fun with it.

The Militant Working Boy said...

Do NOT have fun with it. This is WORK. There is absolutely no fun allowed. In case you haven't noticed, we are an extremely pensive group of intellectuals and we do not take kindly to shenanigans. In fact, any shenanaganers will be tied to an inflatable hippo and forced to sing the "big butts song" with their mouth full of multicolored marshmallows.

Unknown said...

The big butts song by Queen or Sir Mix-A-Lot?

The Militant Working Boy said...

The lyrics of the queen song to the tune of the Sir Mix-A-Lot version... of course.

Unknown said...

Hey, tomorrow is Darryl's birthday, guys!

E. Studnicka said...

Is this a confirmation that Darryl is actually a mortal and was not, in fact, spontaneously created by the gods of humor and insanity to infiltrate the planet and wreak havoc within the psyches of the general public?
I am so disappointed.

Unknown said...

I suppose tomorrow could represent his day of creation. You know, so you don't have to fall into a pit of depression.

E. Studnicka said...

I will have to dig out my maypole and incense in honor of that. Do we have a ceremonial chant?

Unknown said...

I think we just throw bacon.

Darryl said...

Don't worry, mwb. I was conceived through miracle birth. Bacon hurling is not only welcomed, but enforced by martial law.

Thanks for letting the proverbial tasmanian tiger out of the proverbial uterus, Nico.

Unknown said...

I fink he didn't want me to tell. newps.